Dental crowns are a popular dental solution, but many patients often wonder, “When are dental crowns needed?” The answer isn’t a one-size-fits-all. Dental crowns serve multiple purposes, from cosmetic enhancements to essential restorative procedures. This article sheds light on the various situations where dental crowns might be the best solution.
1. Protecting a Weak Tooth A tooth that’s been damaged by decay or fracture can break further if left unprotected. Here, a dental crown acts as a shield, encapsulating the vulnerable tooth, and protecting it from any more damage.
2. Following Root Canal Treatment After a root canal procedure, the tooth can become brittle and prone to breakage. A dental crown provides the necessary strength and protection to such teeth, ensuring their longevity.
3. Broken or Fractured Teeth In cases where a tooth is severely broken or fractured and cannot be fixed with fillings alone, dental crowns offer a solid, long-lasting solution.
4. Discolored or Misshapen Teeth For teeth that are severely stained, where traditional whitening doesn’t offer the desired results, or for teeth that are oddly shaped, dental crowns provide an aesthetic solution. They give both a natural look and feel, improving the overall appearance of the teeth.
5. Dental Implant Coverage Dental crowns play a crucial role in dental implant procedures. Once the implant is placed and fused with the bone, a dental crown is fixed atop, acting as the visible part of the implant.
6. Bridging Gaps Dental crowns are integral components of dental bridges. If you have missing teeth and opt for a bridge, the adjacent teeth (abutment teeth) will be crowned to support the bridge.
7. Wear and Tear Over time, our teeth endure a lot, from grinding, clenching, and the natural aging process, leading them to wear down. Dental crowns can restore the tooth’s original size and function.
Determining when dental crowns are needed usually requires a professional assessment. If you’re considering getting one, understanding the situations that warrant a dental crown can be beneficial.
If you’re around Lakewood, Colorado, and pondering over the necessity of a dental crown, dental crowns Lakewood Colorado by Callahan and Klein can offer you the best consultation and solutions tailored for your needs. Remember, a timely decision can save your smile and ensure your oral health’s longevity.